Protection from harm; health; wellbeing; wholeness
The utterly iconic Eye of Horus was one of the most popular amulets worn by ancient Egyptians. When Horus had his eye damaged by his vengeful uncle Seth, the goddess Hathor restored it to wholeness again. It thus symbolised wholeness, protection and health.
This tiny little Eye of Horus amulet is only 2.2 centimetres in length, which really drives home the expert craftsmanship used in its production. It’s been photographed using a macro lens against a black background to give the piece its own space in which to show off and to highlight its amazing detail. The amulet is from the collection at the Garstang Museum of Archaeology in Liverpool (accession number E.9186). It’s made of faience and probably comes from either the city of Luxor (modern Thebes) or from the ancient cemetery at Abydos, the mythological burial place of Osiris.
- Fridge magnets are miniature mounted prints with a magnet on the back, and measure 13 cm x 10 cm
- They’re printed and mounted by a Liverpool-based independent art printer
- They’re printed on a baryta paper, using pigment inks. Both paper and ink are of archival quality, meaning they’ll last much longer than normal photographic prints
- Fridge magnets are posted next working day. Items out of stock can be purchased, but take about a week to come back from the printers before being posted out to you
- Outside the UK is dependent on international delivery times
If you love this image but would like it in another format (mug, poster etc), please drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your security is important to me, and I want you to feel at ease browsing my store. All payments are processed by PayPal and Stripe – internationally renowned payment companies – meaning I don’t store any of your financial information on this site. I am the only person who has access to this site, and I protect it with strong passwords and security software. I have an SSL certificate that protects your details as they’re passed through to PayPal/Stripe, and I keep all software and plugins on this site fully up-to-date.